Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Honeymoon: The Fun

While we spent a pretty big chunk of our honeymoon eating, we did do a few other things!

We went skating by the river:



This was really great because there was a 2km skating path right next to the lake so it was really pretty and scenic. It was also really nice to not have to go around in circles over and over. I was a bit concerned about how I would do on skates, but was pleasantly surprised with my abilities (i.e. I didn't fall).

We also went snowshoeing:







Despite the fact that the trail we were on was really poorly marked and I was worried about getting lost, this was really fun. The trail was gorgeous and we had a great time.

We spent a lot of time reading and relaxing:







Thanks so much for all your book recommendations. Unfortunately, none of my library holds became available in time for the honeymoon, so I ended up reading Wicked while we were away. It was really good, but I wasn't prepared for how different it was from the musical. Since coming home I've been slowly starting to work my way through your recommendations and loved Pillars of the Earth. I'm currently in the middle of Outlander and can see why so many of you recommended it! As for those that recommended Lauren Willig or Phillipa Gregory, you know my taste pretty well as I've already read all their books!

We went walking:





The most exciting thing I'd say we did was when we went to Nordic Station, which is a Nordic spa. This place was gorgeous. It was located pretty much in the middle of the snow covered woods of Quebec.

How it works is you go through a cycle of hot, cold, and relaxation over and over again until you are thoroughly relaxed. For hot we had the choice of an outdoor hot tub, a steam room, or a dry sauna. The idea is to stay in the heat for as long as you can manage, usually 20 minutes or so.


Source

Sauna overlooking the river:


Source

You then are to cool down really quickly by dunking yourself in ice cold water or the frozen river.


Source


Source

Next you go to a relaxation room to relax until you body temperature has normalized. You repeat the cycle as many times as you like. We did the cycle a number of times and then lost interest in torturing ourselves with the cold and just hung out in the gorgeous hot tubs for a while.

We then had our couples massage in a cabin in the woods. This was kind of hilarious because we're not exactly the type of people who are interested in things like couples massages. However, that's all they had available when we booked our massage so we figured a honeymoon is a great place to try a couples massage.

Our verdict was that while our massages were excellent, they were not enhanced at all by having each other in the room and we're not likely to book any other couple massages in the future. I spent too much time worrying about whether or not Mr. Knitting was enjoying his massage and that took away some of my enjoyment.

Anyway, that's a pretty good overview of all the things we did on our cozy Christmas honeymoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment