Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Bee's Life: Knitting Edition

How I Found Wedding Bee

I actually don't really remember. Shortly after we got engaged I became a little obsessed with wedding blogs and I think I found Wedding Bee from a link from another blog (maybe Martha?). I read it for a bit, but I lost interest around the holidays (what's wrong with me?). However, in January 2010 I became a WB fanatic and pretty much read every single post every day.

My Application

I didn't know anything about blogging when I decided I wanted to apply, but I figured that was no reason to stop me! I'm definitely one of the Bees who only started a wedding blog so that I could be a Bee. I also didn't tell anyone I was applying for Wedding Bee, except for Mr. Knitting.

I'm really glad that I didn't know that some Bees put together really fancy high tech applications because mine was definitely a very straight forward 7 page Word document without a single colour, illustration, or picture to be found. My blog had lots of pictures, but my application was very boring looking. I sent my application in a week before I technically should of (after reading that Mrs. Cupcake sent hers in way before!). About 4 weeks later, while I was in Amsterdam on an amazing trip with a friend, I got an email from Mrs. Penguin offering me a place as a Bee. I was so excited, but also a bit sad that I would have to wait a whole month until I got back to Canada before actually starting to blog!

Frolicking in Siena as a brand new Bee:



Picking a Bee name was tricky for me because I really wanted to be Miss Hermit Crab. I thought it would be a really fitting (and hilarious!) name for Mr. Knitting and myself since since we're both such total homebodies. Unfortunately for me, that name had been scooped up the week before! For me it came down to either Miss Thimble or Miss Knitting and I went with Knitting because it seemed more cozy. Now I love my name and my icon and can't imagine being anyone else!

Icon thief (I'm kidding of course. Love you HC!):


Source


What It's Like Blogging for Wedding Bee

I love it! It's really fun and I love that blogging about my wedding has forced me to think about it more deeply and to spend time thinking about why certain wedding related things are important to myself and Mr. Knitting.

I absolutely love getting feedback and help from the readers and, like pretty much all the Bees, your ideas and suggestions have had a huge influence on our wedding. Stay tuned for my recaps to see what exactly!

There were also definitely a few times I felt a bit like, "What else is there for me to write about my wedding?" but for me it was really important to honour the commitment to post 3-4 times a week, so I always found something! That's what gave birth to my "Yum...That is All" series. I'm always up for looking at pictures of delicious food!

I don't really feel like I'm all that qualified to give blogging advice, but for me, I just write about the things I'm interested in and I always try to include pictures. I also try to be as honest as possible about my experiences (without crossing a line) because it's the really honest posts that I read as an engaged woman that made me realize that planning a wedding is not sunshine and roses all the time, and that's okay because it's like that for everyone. I think this sense of community, support, and shared experience is one of WB's biggest strengths and I hope I have contributed to that in some way.

Continuing with this sense of community, I also love the people I've met both on line and in person. While I'm yet to meet another Bee in real life, I've met a fantastic group of ladies from the Toronto area who I love to meet up with (and harass on Facebook!). That's one of my favourite things about being part of the WB community.

What's your favourite thing about Wedding Bee?

No comments:

Post a Comment