Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Thought I'd Be Older...

Growing up, on the rare occasion when I thought about getting married, I thought I'd be at least in my late 20s. This is pretty common in Toronto amongst most of the people I know. Getting married any younger seemed really weird and like a surefire recipe for divorce. The prevailing wisdom both then and now is that people change so much in their twenties that they're not possibly capable of choosing a partner before their late 20s.

Thus, it was a bit weird for me to realize at 23 that I was ready to get married. While I realize that in many other parts of the world this is a completely normal age to get married, it just wasn't for me and I referred to myself as a child bride quite a bit because I sometimes felt a bit awkward about the fact that I was engaged at such a relatively young age.

Adding to this, Mr. Knitting and myself are by far the first of our friends to get married and we suspect there will be a few years before any more of our friends of the same age get married. This isn't an issue at all because many of our friends are in equally committed relationships, and those who aren't, aren't weird about the fact we're married (if they were we probably wouldn't actually be friends!).

However, I occasionally feel uncomfortable letting people know I'm married because they are usually pretty shocked and don't feel the need to hide it (because they don't have manners!). To be fair, a lot of those people seem to think I'm 20 which in Toronto is a legitimately young age to get married, but still. It's pretty rude no matter how old I am.

However, I've decided it's time for me to get over that. I'm really happy to be married and while getting married at 24 is not for everyone, it was a great choice for Mr. Knitting and myself.

Still, every so often when I stop to think about it, I do find it interesting that I'm 25 and ridiculously happily married. How and when did that happen?

How old did you think you'd be when you'd get married? Did the reality match up with your expectations?

No comments:

Post a Comment