Monday, May 23, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Wedding: A Receiving Line and Some Quiet Time

It was really important to me to individually greet each of our guests so we chose to have a very small receiving line consisting of just myself and Mr. Knitting. We stood just outside the doors of our ceremony room and greeted everyone as they began to file downstairs. This had the added benefit of slowing the guests' arrival at the bar, thus making our bartenders lives a bit easier!

I realize that looking at pictures of us hugging people is a bit boring so I'll keep it brief.

Here's the basic set up:



And here's us with two of our awesome friends:





After we had greeted everyone we snuck away for a bit of private time to let the fact that we were married sink in.

Our photographer grabbed a quick shot of us in front of a Christmas tree in our ceremony room:



We had requested to have some appetizers and water waiting for us in a private room so we could eat them without getting distracted by all our favourite people. However, I pretty much burst out laughing when I saw the plate of appetizers that we'd chosen.


Personal photo

Yup, almost every single thing was fried (the salmon at the back that you can't really see was not). Now I love fired food. I don't eat it all that often because I'd like to avoid heart disease, but I fully admit that it is delicious. This, however, was just some bad menu planning. No one wants endless amount of fried stuff.

In my defense, we also provided a huge vegetable platter and a selection of hummus, baba ghanoush,olives and sundried tomatoes, and had options that suited omnivores, vegans, and gluten free vegans that eat salmon. However, even the perogies, which should not have been fried, were fried. I don't think this was a huge problem, but I think if I was to do it over I would definitely be a bit more judicious in picking menu items that had a wider variety of colour and cooking techniques.

Here's the rundown of our cocktail menu:

Sweet Potato Fries (fried, but at least these were orange)
Vegetarian Samosas (fried)
Perogies (inexplicably fried)
Crab and Brie in Phyllo Pastry (fried)
Mini Fish and Chips (definitely fried)
Asian Spiced Salmon Skewers (not fried!)
Grilled pita (and gluten free chips of some kind) with hummus, babaganoush, olives, and sundried tomatoes (not fried!)
Vegetable wreath (not fried!)

Mr. Knitting posing in front of my favourite tree with the sweet potato fries:


Personal photo

Seriously, isn't this the most bridal looking tree? I wish we'd taken some proshots in front of it:


Personal photo

Then once we were refreshed we headed downstairs for the cocktail hour! I highly recommend working in a small amount of private time for yourselves into the schedule. We were only for probably only about 10-15 minutes and it was really nice to just take a breather together and let the fact that we were married sink in.

Unless otherwise mentioned all photos by the incredible Josh Levinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment