Friday, July 29, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Wedding: Kerchief Time

After our first dance it was time for the Ukrainian kerchief ritual which I have written about here and here. Essentially this is a ritual where the bride's veil is removed and replaced by a kerchief, thus signifying her entrance into wifedom. My mom did this at her wedding and I was excited to do it at mine.

After we finished our first dance we cleared the floor and my sister explained the ritual to everyone.



I think normally the bride's mom is the one who actually removes the veil, but Mama Knitting's many talents do not really include removing a delicate headpiece without destorying my hairstyle, so I called my BM Rachel to help:







Once my headpiece was off they secured the vintage scarf I found in Florence:






Guest Photo

And TAH-DAH I'm a wife!





I'm really glad I did this ritual. It was a lot of fun, very simple, and nice to do something traditional to my family since so much of our wedding was not. Plus it's now super cool to look at this picture of Mama Knitting in 1979:


Personal Photo

and then to look at this picture of me in 2010!



Unless otherwise noted, all photos by the wonderful Josh Levinson!

No comments:

Post a Comment