Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Gorgeous, but I Don't Always Want to Wear It

Before I got engaged I thought that women never removed their wedding or engagement rings. Both my mother and my sister never take off their rings and I thought that was the norm. As a result when I realized that I can't stand wearing my ring around the house I thought I was super weird, especially since my ring (it's an engagement/wedding ring) is a very wearable ring.


Image via Birks

Here's the thing: when I get home I'm pretty much always wearing something pygama like so wearing my pjs along with the most valuable thing I own (financially and sentimentally) felt really weird. To be honest it bothered me to the extent that I sometimes found it difficult to sleep while I was wearing it (obviously, I'm very easy going!).

My favourite look:



I soon decided that this was crazy and that it's just a piece of jewellery (it has a bit more sentimental value of course, but still). Just as I wouldn't wear a bracelet around the house, there's no need for me to wear my engagement/wedding ring around the house if it makes me that uncomfortable. Now everyday when I come home I almost immediately take my ring off and put it in its case. I'm very careful that I always put it in the same place because I'm always a bit scared of losing it while it's off my finger!

I'm very happy with this system because it makes me more comfortable, but also because I think it makes me appreciate my ring a lot more than I would if I wore it all the time. This way, it becomes this lovely accessory I get to put on every day, as opposed to something to something that has just become a permanent part of my body.

Where do you fall on this issue? Ring(s) all the time or just sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment