Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Weird Things and How they Worked Out

I made a number of unconventional (but by no means totally unique) choices for our wedding so I thought a post on how they all worked out would be a good idea.

DIY Hair and Make-up

I was originally a bit worried about doing my own hair and make up because I am not particularly talented at either. In fact, I'm actually pretty bad at doing my hair and almost always wear it in a pony tail so I don't have to deal with it! However, I'm happy to report that I was really happy with this decision. I have no doubts that a pro would have done a much better job, but not to an extent that would have made it worth it financially for me.

Yes, my hair clearly has some wispies:



but, I think I look just fine:



Verdict: Me = happy!

Not Rehearsing the Ceremony

A few of you lovely readers and a few people in my "real" life expressed concern over how we were choosing not to have a rehearsal. Now that the wedding is over I still stand by my choice. The ceremony definitely would have been slightly more seamless had we rehearsed, but not to the extent that it would have been worth to get everyone together for an hour on a work/school night. Our ceremony was so simple that rehearsing really wasn't a necessity. However, I fully admit that for a more complicated ceremony rehearsing might be an excellent idea.

Verdict: Me = happy!

Mismatched BM Dresses

I really loved having mismatched BM dresses. I think my ladies looked great and I was happy they were able to choose gorgeous dresses that really suited each of them at a price point they were comfortable with. In fact, one of my BMs wore a dress she already owned! I think this one really just comes down to personal preference. If you like the mismatched look - great! If not, don't do it.



Having a King's Table

I LOVED the King's Table. This was one of my favourite things we did at our wedding. If you're not familiar with a King's Table it's basically a long rectangular table that we sat at the head of and our wedding party and their dates sat along each side. I loved this option because it allowed our wedding party to sit with their dates and for us to sit with lots of our favourite people. This worked out really well and I highly recommend it.



Verdict: Me = happy!

Using a Laptop Instead of a DJ

Like my feelings about hair and make-up I have no doubt that a pro would have done a better job, but not a $800 better job. Overall, I'm really happy with how using a laptop and speakers worked out. My favourite thing about this was that we got to choose all of the music for our wedding and we were able to include a lot of meaningful songs.

However, if I was ever doing this option again, I'd be a lot more selective with my song choices. I was worried about not having enough music so we downloaded A LOT of music and as a result we weren't actually able to play all the songs I wanted to because our wedding and reception weren't 25 hours long! We also had an interesting moment where one of Mr. Knitting's parent's friends went over to the laptop downloaded a song and then played this song. This would have actually been fine if it had been a lively Polish folk song (because those are awesome!), but no, it was a really long (think 7 or 8 minutes) boring song that was really difficult for anyone except this couple to dance to. Obviously this problem would have been avoided with a DJ!

Don't worry we were only here for a moment:


Guest Photo

Verdict: Me = happy with some minor reservations!

How did some of your more unconventional choices work out?

Unless otherwise noted all photos by the wonderful Mr. Josh Levinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment