Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Wedding: The Lost Hour

I wrote about this briefly before in this post, but I wanted to go into a bit more detail as to what happened.

We had arranged with my venue that we would be arriving an hour early to take some more photos inside prior to the ceremony. However, upon arriving at the Faculty Club it turned out that almost nothing had been set up and what had been partially set up (the chairs for the ceremony) had been set up completely wrong.

I found this really frustrating because I had gone over the set up with my venue's coordinator and she assured me that her staff would set everything up. I had dropped off all the items the day before and I had even drawn elaborate diagrams so that everything would be as clear as possible. When we arrived I had been expecting everything to be in the process of being set up, if not actually fully set up. However, when we arrived at the club, all of these items were still in the office.

Even more frustrating was the fact that the ceremony room had been set up in a completely different orientation then I had discussed with the coordinator numerous times. We had discussed setting up the room to face the fireplace and I had gone on to people (and all of you!) about how we would be getting married in front of a fireplace. The event staff apparently had not been informed of this and had set the chairs up facing the windows. It seemed like nothing I had communicated to the coordinator had been communicated to her staff.

As a result instead of spending the hour prior to the ceremony relaxing and taking some more photos, I had to almost comically kick off my shoes and direct our entire wedding party and our families in how to set everything up.

To be fair the staff were extremely nice and really tried to help us as much as possible. When I saw the ceremony room and was like "What the...?" they immediately told me they could change it, no problem. However, I decided to just stick with what they had done. There were too many other things to be done to be wasting manpower on moving 100 chairs. The staff may have also planned to set up the dining room during our ceremony, but I was just so freaked out by the fact that the boxes and diagrams had not been even looked at by the time we arrived that I didn't really trust that to happen.

In the moment I didn't freak out, I just did what needed to be done, and our wedding party and families really came through for us tying signs to chairs, setting up jam, and lots of other random things. That being said I was really frustrated with the lack of communication that went on. I had expected to arrive and have a quick glance over things and then relax and take some photos, but instead got to sprint around the venue. This eventually ended with me sprinting through a back hallway and staircase to prevent my aunt, uncle, and grandfather from seeing me in my dress prior to the ceremony!

Anyway, despite this lack of communication, in the end everything got set up and we went on to have a lovely wedding, in a lovely venue, with a lovely staff. Now, I'm just sad there aren't any pictures of me racing about barefoot in a wedding dress!

Missed a Knitting Recap?:
First we yoga-ed
I spent the morning being anti-social
Mama Knitting figured out how to dress herself and I turned into a bride
We had our first look and snuggled in the snow
We played in the snow with our friends

No comments:

Post a Comment