Monday, April 18, 2011

Prince William is Copying Us!

Okay, okay he probably doesn't read WB, but I think I'll spend the rest of my life pretending Mr. Knitting was his inspiration!

As someone who is super excited about the royal wedding I was very excited to read that just like Mr. Knitting, Prince William will not wear a wedding ring. Apparently, Prince William "doesn't wear jewellery" and therefore does not want to wear a wedding ring.

Copier:


Image via The Official Website of the British Monarchy

I also wanted to give a bit of an update about how I feel about Mr. Knitting and his lack of a wedding ring. Many of you expressed concerns that you would not be okay with your husbands not wearing rings and I can definitely understand that. I was pretty sure this wouldn't bother me and can say now, 4 months after our wedding, I definitely do not have any issues with him not wearing one. I don't feel any less married or any less loved, and it doesn't bother me that random women won't immediately know he's married. If some random woman is hitting on him (this is a really funny statement if you know what homebodies we are!) he can tell that woman he's married and if he doesn't that would make him a scumbag that I wouldn't want to be married to anyway! Long story short, I don't have any mixed or unhappy feelings about forgoing a wedding ring for Mr. K.

While reading about 15 different articles about Prince William's ring decision (I should probably be embarrassed about that but I'm not!) I also learned that double ring ceremonies are actually a relatively new tradition. I've been calling our choice to have a single ring ceremony "wacky" when describing it to others, but perhaps I should have been going with "traditional" instead!

I'm now really curious to see if the fact that William is forgoing a wedding ring influences many others. My guess is no. While I'm sure their wedding will be make a huge impact in the wedding world, I think people are ultimately pretty attached to the tradition of wedding rings and I don't see that going out of style any time soon. Who knows though, maybe in ten years the idea of a man wearing a ring will be hopelessly out of date all thanks to William.

What do you think? Will the fact that Prince William is forgoing a wedding ring spark a trend in this direction or are wedding rings for men here to stay?

No comments:

Post a Comment