Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Way Beyond Above and Beyond

As you might recall, I have an amazing boss, JB. However, what she did for Mr. K and myself last week goes way beyond amazing. Very sadly JB's father passed away last week and she decided that despite her exhaustion and grief she would still throw the cocktail party she had been planning in our honour the very next day. To say that I was touched is a huge understatement.

The party was really wonderful. Jennifer hosted it in her gorgeous home which is decorated to perfection and full of art. I may or may not be very jealous of her home. She made it even more party ready by filling the ceiling with white and silver balloons and having lots of candlelight (which I heart big time).

Here's a look at the setting (keeping in mind these guest photos don't do it justice):









We were greeted at the door by this dashing man who would be serving as our bartender for the evening:



The food was of course amazing. JB made an effort to serve all the foods I love, which as a person who eats a mostly plant based diet with exceptions for salmon and dairy products on social occasions, is no mean feat! She served tons of sushi, smoked salmon, and lots of veggie treats. I sort of parked myself next to the buffet table and shovelled food into my mouth (because I'm classy like that).

Here's a look at the food table after we began attacking it:



I also have to give a special mention about the macarons which you can see at the middle back of the table. My co-worker Ike makes the most amazing macarons and I've been lucky enough to get to eat quite a few of his this last year, including the big batch he gave me for my birthday (best gift ever). They are such a delicious treat and the party would not have been complete without them. This particular batch was gingerbread. YUM. Let me know if you'd like me to try to get the recipe from him!

The party was very "me". Veggie food, a gorgeous elegant location and no games! While I'm happy to be a good sport and participate in games at other people's events, games are just not my thing. We had a lovely time just enjoying the delicious food, great wine, and each other's company.

Look at the fun:





Next JB gave a really lovely speech, followed by another speech by the head of our office. Their speeches were both really sweet and I am so grateful to have worked with these wonderful people for the past two years.

Okay, enough with the sappy. On to my present! Yay, things for me (okay, us)! In the next set of picutres you'll notice my face is bright red. That is how I look when I drink half a glass of wine. No blush for me on my wedding day!

Oh, lobster face...



Me having fun with the card:



Here's a look at our gift:


Source

Gorgeous right? It's a bread bowl from the One of a Kind Show. I had no clue what it was when I opened it because it comes as a flat piece of wood. Luckily Mr. K figured it out pretty fast:



I enjoy how it looks like I'm trying to give helpful suggestions when really my brain is really bad at figuring out how things work and I definitely had no helpful tips. Oh me...

Anyway, it was a really wonderful party, thrown for me by a really wonderful person. I have a nice picture of JB and me, but she hates being in photos, so I'm not going to post it. Rest assured she is an incredible lady.

How have people gone way beyond above and beyond for you and your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment