Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Wedding: My Anti-Social Morning

The morning of our wedding began with me realizing that we didn't have the brown sugar I needed to make the pumpkin spice whoopie pies that I was making for our wedding dessert table. This resulted in Mr. Knitting having to get out of bed and run to the store to buy me some brown sugar.

Brown sugar disaster averted, I proceeded to make my whoopie pies:



Mr. Knitting then had to taste test the final result:



You wouldn't really know it from the look on his face, but I swear he pronounced them delicious!

We then balanced out the sugar high with green smoothies:



Eventually it was time to go our separate ways to get ready. Figuring out where each of us would get ready was a bit of a pain because both of us just wanted to get ready in our apartment. In the end though I claimed our apartment and Mr. Knitting headed off to the hotel all my family were staying in.

I was trying to spend as much of the day as possible with as few people as possible. That sounds really anti-social, but I can explain! I am a huge introvert and by that I do not mean that I'm shy and quiet and hate people. I mean that I draw my energy from being alone. Since I knew I'd be spending most of the day surrounded by lots of people, it was really important for me to delay that as long as possible. As a result I did 90% of my getting ready with just my older sister there.

I did my hair and make-up alone in my bedroom while my sister showered/took a picture of me:



After those tasks were completed we kept things very low key and munched on some sushi while my sister gave me a last minute MOH present. She made me a scrapbook entitled, "Reflections of a Maid of Honour". I'd show you the cover, but my sister used a very unfortunate (but hilarious) picture on the cover that I'm not desperate to post on the Internet!

It was set up sort of like a storybook, featuring pictures of us when we were younger. Here's a few examples of the pages.





I have no idea where those green fuzzy hats on our heads came from...

The back pages of the book were filled with marriage advice from some of my favourite women. It was a really sweet gift and I had so much fun reading through it that morning.

After that, my people began to arrive and the wedding fun really began. This was really a great way to start my wedding day. It was not completely stress free, but I was able to follow my regular breakfast routine and then to have a very quiet morning which I think was pretty essential for my sanity and my ability to enjoy the rest of the day.

Knitting Wedding Tip #1: Know who you are and what you need to get your wedding day started in the best possible manner. If being surrounded by all your favourite people will get you super excited and pumped, do it, but if you know you need quiet, make sure to organize that time for yourself. Don't worry about what other people do on their wedding days. Think about who you are and what you need!

No comments:

Post a Comment