Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Cozy Christmas Wedding: The Second Prettiest Dress at My Wedding

Disclaimer: Any complaining about my mom to follow is done with love!

As I alluded to in this post, while the morning of my wedding was lovely, it was not entirely stress free. The main source of stress came from Mama Knitting calling me repeatedly to discuss the fact that she didn't know how to tie her gorgeous sari. I was not amused.

Despite having had the sari in her possession for the past 4 months, Mama Knitting had not learned to tie it. In her defense during that time she worked her busy and stressful full time job AND completed her doctorate (that's right, she's Dr. Mama Knitting now!), but still. On the morning of my wedding I had other things to be concerned about. I can't say I offered very much help on these repeated phone calls about whether or not I had Indian neighbors who could help her, especially since I'm one of those people who live in a condo building and don't know my neighbors at all.

My parents did try to solve the sari problem on their own. They first went down to the front desk of their hotel to see if there were any people there that knew how to tie a sari. This sounds a bit crazy, but that's actually a strategy that worked really well for my mom when we were staying in Edmonton. Unfortunately, no one at this hotel knew how, although we learned later that about an hour after my parents left somebody who did know how to tie a sari arrived.

Their next plan was to watch a YouTube video and try to emulate it. Since neither of them had a laptop with them they planned to do this in the lobby of their hotel on the public access computer. My family is very fancy.

Eventually, they ran out of time and had to leave to take photos. My dad managed to sort of tie it and my mom figured she'd make do. However, when they walked into my building the concierge was really excited that my mom was wearing a sari and it turned out he had owned a sari shop in Toronto's Little India. He and my parents went into a back room and he showed them how to properly tie it.

The end result? A gorgeous sari that stayed put all night! I think you'll probably agree that Mama Knitting looked pretty amazing:


Source

I fully plan to borrow it as soon as I can! Did you have any early morning wedding stresses?

No comments:

Post a Comment