Thursday, March 25, 2010

Before the Engagement (a little bit delayed)

I guess this post would have made a bit more sense coming before the post on getting engaged, but oh, well! I suspect you’ll manage to follow along. Anyway, the Mr. and I met when I transferred to his school in the middle of grade 11 (that's how you say it in Canada). It was fortunate we had a mutual friend, because otherwise it’s entirely possible we would have finished high school without speaking. I had just transferred from a school of 150 to a school of 2000 which was pretty overwhelming and I was pretty shy. Apparently, other people were equally shy of me and as a result I didn’t get too know too many people there right away. The Mr. was even more shy than I was and it probably would have never occurred to speak to me.

Luckily we had a mutual friend who introduced us. I don’t know that either of us had any kind of impression on the other. I’ve heard that often the people who have to biggest effects on our lives are the people who seem so insignificant at first. This was certainly true for us.



Anyway, this friend also got me to join the Reach Team in grade 12, of which the Mr. was a member. The Reach Team is a team that competes in trivia competitions. That’s right, no cheerleading or newspaper for me; I was on the trivia team! We're both quite nerdy and bookworm-ish and proud of it. You can see us having a blast at the Natural History Museum in the photo. Anyway, as we slowly (very very slowly) got to know each other over our grade 12 year we became friends and eventually began to date.

And now, 6 years later, after many late night walks, times reading together in bed, travelling to New York and Tobermory, doing Sudokus on the couch, meals of sushi or Indian food, moving in together, and lots lots more, we’re getting married!

No comments:

Post a Comment