Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wedding Bling or My Very First 17 Diamonds

I am in love with my ring, which is a good thing since I picked it out. However, while it does have 17 diamonds, I’m not so sure one would describe it as bling. I'm generally pretty understated in terms of my style, and I think my ring is no exception. Choosing my ring was a relatively simple process since I did this before I learned about how many amazing wedding resources there are on the internet.

Anyway, I wasn’t exactly actively looking for a ring when I found this one (see I’m not totally nuts!), but I was aware I’d probably be in the market for an engagement ring soon. Hence, I was kind of keeping an eye out. Since I like lists, here’s a list of all the places I (sort of) looked.

1) St. Lawrence Market Antique Market. My go to place for everything and one of my favourite places in the city. I'll have a longer post on the market soon, since it's definitely going to figure strongly in my wedding planning process. I love the idea of a vintage ring. I would love to wear my mom or grandmother’s wedding ring, but as that’s not an option for me I was willing to settle for something vintage. Anyway, I kept an eye out for potential rings during a few of my visits, but didn’t see anything that would really work for me.

2) Tiffany. I have to admit I browsed on their website more than once. The store itself doesn’t really appeal to me, but I did like this ring quite a bit.


(Photo from the Tiffany and Co. Website)

Unfortunately, this ring was a lot more than we wanted to spend, so I moved on.

3) Birks. I was just, you know, casually browsing their website when I came across the perfect ring. Here it is:


(Photo from the Birks website)

Here's a photo of me wearing it:


(personal photo)

I loved the fact that’s it’s a bit different than a solitaire and slightly unusual but still beautiful and classic. I’m actually going to wear it as both my engagement and wedding ring. Keeps it simple for me!

I'm a bit sad it's not vintage, but ultimately I think it's better that way. This is a piece of jewelry I've become very emotionally attached to and I think it just gives me better peace of mind to know exactly where it came from (and who I can bring it to if something goes wrong!).

I'd love to hear from any of you ladies (or gents) with vintage or antique rings. Where it did you find your ring? What was the process like for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment