Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Books Books Books

I am a huge bookworm. I love reading a lot, and I would say that getting new books from the library is one of my favourite past times (yes, I’m a proud nerd). I’m also the kind of person who, if I’m interested in something, I will read about it obsessively. I’d say now that the Internet is, hands down, the best source for wedding information, but before I figured this out, I read quite a few wedding books. Even now, as a very internet savvy bride, I still like turning to books every so often. Here is a selection of my favourites.

All photos are from amazon.com

Offbeat Bride: Creative Alternatives for Independent Brides by Ariel Meadow Stallings. While the author Ariel and I have very different styles, it was wonderful to see how she made choices for her wedding that were right for her and her husband, without worrying about whether or not they were traditional “wedding choices”. Basically, she gave me the freedom to make my own choices. She also has a fantastic website called Offbeat Bride, which I love and has tons of great inspiration.


Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette by Peggy Post. I love etiquette books. I know it’s popular to think they are ridiculous, but I’m a big fan. This book really isn’t about place settings or rigid rules, it’s about creating a wedding that perfectly reflects you, but also allows consideration, respect, and courtesy for others. I especially love that Peggy begins the book by saying that she and her husband had a casual clambake reception and that Emily Post certainly would have approved.


Jo Gartin's Weddings: An Inspiring Guide for the Stylish Bride by Jo Gartin. I love this book. It’s full of gorgeous pictures and inspirations from some of Jo Gartin’s weddings. While books do become dated quickly, this book is full of ideas that will inspire you to push your creativity to the next level.


The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day by Mindy Weiss and Lisbeth Levine. This one is just so jammed full of information, how could it not be helpful? Seriously, it's the most informative wedding book I've ever seen, with information and advice on everything from choosing a veil to wording your invitations to figuring out how to include cheeseburgers in your wedding menu.


One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding by Rebecca Mead. I know, it’s a strange book for someone so clearly in love with weddings to like, but I love reading this book to remind me that there is a business side to all of this and I need to be aware of my role as a consumer. It’s hard sometimes to remember that spending $1000+ on a dress you will wear once is outrageous, but this book helps me keep it all in perspective.



So those are a few of my favourite wedding resources. Do you have a favourite wedding book (or 5!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment