Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Green Eyed Monster Rears its Head!

Haha that's a pretty goofy title for a not so goofy post.

Anyway, despite us both being raised Catholic and meeting in Catholic school, I'm not religious and Mr. Knitting is even more not religious. One might say adamnatly not religious. As a result we will be having a civil ceremony. While I'm very happy with this and know that it's absolutely the right choice for us, occassionaly I get a bit jealous of church brides.

St. Michael's Cathedral in Toronto


Source

St Basil's Church (at the University of Toronto)


Source

I love the idea of getting married in a place that has such incredible meaning for an individual and to be married by a trusted priest, minister, rabbi...etc, seems like it would be really special. I am also a bit jealous that for religious people the marriage ceremony has a lot more meaning than it does for me. For me, the ceremony won't really alter our relationship at all. For me, our marriage ceremony is a lovely moment to say we love each other and to promise to be together forever in front of our friends and family, but it won't really fundamentally change anything for us. Our relationship is something that has been and will continue to be built and sustained over time with no one moment profoundly altering it. For us there will not be a moment of being bound by God, which I think must be so powerful for those that believe in such things.

Have you ever wished you believed in something you didn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment