Friday, May 7, 2010

My Uninterested Groom

I generally try to avoid stereotypes in my life and in particular stereotypical gender roles. I don’t like the idea that because of one’s gender, one should behave or be interested in certain things. Unfortunately, when it comes to planning the wedding, Mr. Knitting and I definitely fall into very stereotypical gender roles. While I am (obviously) incredibly excited and interested in every little detail and in making the day as meaningful as possible, Mr. Knitting is completely uninterested. He’s made it clear that while he is thrilled to marry me, that’s really actually all he cares about. He’s happy to have the big party, but all he really wants is to be married to me, and in terms of how that will happen, he could care less.

In some ways this is great for me (yay I get my way for EVERYTHING!!!), but when I see or hear about examples of grooms getting really involved I get a bit jealous. Why doesn't Mr. Knitting think it's fun to spend an hour or two in Michael's with me or spend the afternoon in a stamping store looking for the perfect ink stamps for our thank you cards?

The thing is, I don't know if this bothers me because I actually wish he was more interested in the wedding details or if it's just because I feel guilty for perpetuating stereotypical gender roles. Obviously I should just get over it if it's for the latter reason. In my real life I take no issue with the fact that I'm the one who does pretty much all the cooking and baking in our home and that's because I feel pretty supported as Mr. Knitting does all the dish washing and the vacuuming. It seems pretty silly actually to take issue with the fact that he's not much of a wedding planner if it's just about gender roles.

Me baking while Mr. Knitting waits to be served LIKE A MAN!!!! Yes I'm kidding.

I think I'm just going to have to make peace with the fact that I have a stereotypical uninterested groom. Frankly it's probably better for me this way as I get my way for EVERYTHING!!!!! (Yes, I'm a control freak).

Go ahead, make me jealous. I want to hear all about how your grooms are helping out!

No comments:

Post a Comment