Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Family Tie(s)

Family is really important to me and as I've mentioned, Mr. Knitting and I are trying to incorporate our families into the wedding whenever possible. One of my favourite ways we're doing this has to do with the tie Mr. Knitting will wear at the wedding.

Originally I had planned to find him a vintage tie here in Toronto, either at Cabaret on Queen St. W, Stella Luna, or one of the vintage stores on Ossington St. While the rest of his outfit will be pretty new, I liked the idea of a vintage tie to tie into our vintage theme (yes, I crack myself up!).

Then I realized that I had an even better option at my disposal. Before he passed away, my Scottish grandfather used to wear his mother’s family tartan tie to formal events. This tie is both vintage and directly related to family! I love the idea of Mr. Knitting getting married wearing something my grandfather was so proud of.

Here's a picture of my grandparents. I searched everywhere for a picture of him wearing the tie, but no luck. You'll have to settle for this awesome bright yellow one:

It's actually been a while since I last saw the tie, so I can't even definitively tell you what it looks like. It's the Anderson family tartan which the Internet tells me could look like any of these:


Source

Source

Source

To be honest though, I don't really care what it looks like. I could care less if it doesn't really coordinate with the other colours I'm leaning towards (pale pink, burgundy, silver, white, and gold). To me it's much more important that it's an object that meant a lot to my grandfather, who obviously meant a lot to myself and my family. Mr. Knitting and I are so excited for him to wear the tie.

In what ways have you incorporated family history into your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment