Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Honeymoon Blues

Mr. K and I realized today that we can't afford a honeymoon and that sucks a lot. I'm not really sure how we didn't realize this before since our finances didn't magically change today, but I guess we didn't really think it through. The original plan was to go to Hawaii for two weeks after the wedding. Unfortunately, between my big Europe trip this past May, Mr. Knitting's grad school fees and conferences (neuroscience on a cruise ship anyone?), our upcoming short trip to visit my older sister and her husband in Vancouver, and, oh yeah, the wedding, a honeymoon is just not going to happen. Stupid being young and poor...

Mr. Knitting working hard at his neuroscience conference on a Caribbean boat cruise:



BM Melbourne and I in Antibes:



My excuse for visiting Vancouver:



However, after getting over my initial disappointment, I'm surprisingly okay with this. Clearly we've both had lots of fun and adventures this year and we'll have lots of exciting trips to look forward to in our future. It's okay that we can't do one of them right after the wedding. I still get to marry my favourite person and really what more can I ask for?

We're now trying to decide if we would like to still have a mini-moon and go away for a few days over Christmas or if we should stay in Toronto. I like the idea of going away because I suspect we'll be a bit familied out after the wedding and will want some alone time, but it will also be the first Christmas I won't be spending with my family and I'm not sure if I might find that a bit upsetting.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a great mini-moon that's a relatively short plane ride away from Toronto?

No comments:

Post a Comment