Sunday, June 20, 2010

I Vow...To be Awkward

While in private Mr. Knitting and I are often embarrassingly lovely dovey with each other, in public not so much. We're pretty private about our relationship and our feelings for each other. I'm also pretty WASPy in that I'm not too interested in talking about deep emotional stuff with lots of people in public. Stiff upper lip and all that.

A nod to my WASP-iness in our bedroom:


As a result, the thought of standing up in front of 100 people and saying wedding vows is absolutely terrifying to me. Okay, terrifying is probably overkill, but it seems really awkward to me. I love Mr. Knitting more than anything and want to spend my life with him, but I don't want to say that aloud to a whole bunch of people.

I can see how, in theory and for other people, it's a really nice thing to do. My sister and her husband's vows were wonderful and definitely a highlight of the night. It's lovely to commit yourself to someone in front of all your favourite people and I'm really hoping that in the moment I'll just feel so loved and supported that I won't feel awkward.

We had a Toronto Weddingbee meet up in early June and one of the lovely ladies told us how she and her fiance (now husband) had decided to not do public vows and instead had chosen to exchange private letters. At first I thought this was a great solution for us, but then I realized that neither of us would take those letters seriously and they'd just be a big joke to us. Thus, we'll be sticking with the public vows and I will just have to swallow my feelings of awkwardness.

Do you have any feelings of awkwardness over wedding vows?

No comments:

Post a Comment