Monday, June 7, 2010

To Kerchief or Not to Kerchief...

My grandparents on my mother's side are Ukrainian immigrants and my parents had a very traditional Ukrainian wedding. I identify more with being Canadian than with being half Ukrainian, but I'd still like to include a few Ukrainian wedding traditions in our wedding. However, the one I like the most is one that I actually have quite a few reservations about.

Note: This is my summary of the tradition based on what my mom has vaguely told me. I would appreciate any further details (like its name) or corrections to my version of it, as I'm having trouble finding any more info on it.

Near the end of a Ukrainian wedding reception the bride's veil is removed and a kerchief is put on by her mother and godmother. The idea is that you're no longer a bride, but a wife. I like this tradition and I love looking at the pictures of it from my parent's wedding.

Here's my grandmother putting on Mama Knitting's kerchief:

Mama Knitting dancing with her dad:

Mama Knitting throwing her bouquet. I love her expression in this one:

All personal photos

However, my issue with this tradition is that for me it says, "Okay now you're a wife, get busy with house work because that's what women do." This bothers me a lot because despite the fact that I like baking, pearls, and looking like a 1950s housewife, I'm not interested in promoting or conforming to traditional gender roles.

So that's my issue. My current thinking is that I'll still go ahead and do it. I think the tradition can be whatever I make of it, which for me will be a connection to my parents' and grandparents' weddings and a simple acknowledgement that I'm now a wife, with no implication that this means I will now sit at home and bake because I'm a woman.

To be clear I have no issue with women that are housewives. I just take issue with the idea that a woman would be a housewife becuase she's a woman, instead of because that's the best choice for herself and her family.

Have any of you struggled with whether or not a family tradition is appropriate any longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment