Friday, June 25, 2010

Too Trendy?

One of my favourite vendor crushes, Beth Helmstetter, wrote a blog post a few months back that really resonated with me. It's called "It is NOT Out of Fashion If You Love It" and you can read the original post here.

As you can probably guess from the title of the post, Beth argues that when it comes to your wedding, you shouldn't worry about whether something you love is in fashion or not. She points out that for those of us obsessed with wedding blogs (which I suspect includes many Weddingbee readers) very creative and interesting ideas can seem really overdone and overused really quickly. However, Beth argues that this is not reason enough to exclude something if you really love it. Most wedding guests don't spend a couple of hours a day reading wedding blogs and most likely will not even be aware that more than one person has thought to use a typewriter as a guest book (for example).

This really resonated with me and I think it's so true. I'd definitely been a bit concerned about a few of my choices being a bit too trendy or overdone, but this calmed me right down. Of course these things are completely awesome and in fashion if Mr. Knitting and I love them. They certainly belong in our wedding anyway!

Here's a few of the "popular" things I plan to include:

Adorable jars of jam as favours (more about this soon):


Source

Cupcakes (although mine are DIY):


Source

The Paloma's Nest ringbearer dish:


Source

I don't know for sure that I'll be having one of these dishes, but before reading this post I had decided I wouldn't because I thought they were too popular. After reading the post, I don't care if they're popular or not. Whether I end up with one now will depend more on finances than anything else. They aren't expensive, but when you're a budget bride every little bit counts!

So those are the popular items I'll be embracing. I think ultimately as long as I'm true to myself and my style who cares if all my ideas aren't the most original things ever. All I want in the end is a wedding that really reflects Mr. Knitting and myself and I'm pretty sure the best way to do that is to include things that we love irregardless of how popular they are.

What's your favourite popular wedding trend?

2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing that cupcakes are "so over." So much of our relationship and the relationship with our friends centers around cupcakes that it's way more "us" to have that instead of a traditional wedding cake. So yeah, we're having a cupcake tower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupcakes are awesome and you should definitely have them! I saw your ones from the Dolly Couture party and they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete