Friday, July 2, 2010

Dressing the Mama: Part 1

My mom is totally obsessed with all things Indian. She loves Indian food, music, movies, culture, interior design, and most importantly for this post, clothes. My mom loves wearing Indian clothing and she can often be found dressed in Indian clothing at formal events.

Here's a few examples:

Dancing at a wedding with my sister:



With my adorable father at my sister's wedding:


Source

However, she's never actually worn a sari, which I happen to think are one of the most gorgeous and elegant types of formal wear. So, when we were starting to think about what she might wear to the wedding we decided on a sari pretty quickly.

Now we just had to figure out how to get her one. A lot of the Indian clothes my mom wears are actually gifts given to her by Indian women who love the fact that she loves Indian clothing so much.

For example, here's a picture of her trying on a sari one of her coworkers is lending her 9for a different event). You'll notice her Vice Principal's office is decorated with images of Indian brides:



However, we couldn't leave the fabulousness of what Mama Knitting would wear at the wedding up to the generousity of her friends and coworkers, and so last weekend we ventured out on a sari shopping expedition.

Stay tuned to find out how we did...

Are you involved in what your mother is wearing to the wedding, or did you have a more hands off approach?

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome Kristin! My mom was going to go the same route as my bridesmaids and go for a little black dress, but Jon's mom thinks wearing black is bad luck so now it's back to square one :)

    ReplyDelete