Monday, September 27, 2010

Stuff We're Not Having

That's right, I got really creative with this blog title!

A little while ago I mentioned to another bride how we're probably not having a rehearsal and she was completely shocked. She couldn't fathom how someone wasn't having one and felt the need to go through the whole, "OMIGOD, I can't believe you're not having a rehearsal. How will the wedding possibly go right?" spiel.


Source

Apparently she's used to one specific type of wedding and was shocked to hear that different people do things different ways. Good thing I didn't tell her about my flower girls or Mr. Knitting's wedding watch! I think she realized a couple seconds after that that was a rude thing to say to me and kind of backpedaled on all of that, but it got me thinking.

There are lots of things people include in their weddings that I'm not a fan of. Similarly, there are lots of things I love and think are completely essential that other people aren't interested in. However, I would NEVER make a negative comment about someone's wedding to their faces. There's no need for that and that would just make me an annoying bitchy person. Similarly I don't care if someone else doesn't like the choices I've made for our wedding, but there is no need to say anything about it to me.

Not my role models:


Source

Anyway, I'm happy with and proud of all the choices we're making for our wedding so this individual's comment didn't really upset me, but it was rude and annoying. It was also surprising for me because I spend so much time on WeddingBee where we're all making our own choices and we all (usually!) respect the fact that other people make different choices than us. Anyway, for fun I thought I'd list some of the other things that the wedding police might come after me for, but that I'm personally very happy about:

A Rehearsal
We don't really need one. Our ceremony isn't the slightest bit complicated. We'll probably block it out about 10 minutes before the wedding. We do like eating food though, so we will have a dinner with our immediate families the night before. We also have something else pretty exciting in the works and I'll tell you all about it once it's finalized.

Save the Dates
We've told people when our wedding is and that they can expect an invitation. That's enough for us. This decision was made based on laziness, money, environmentalism, and the fact that I've never actually personally received an STD (that's what she said!).

Invitation Components
I'm ridiculously excited about our invites, but they are comprised of literally one piece. No maps, no directions, no RSVP cards...nothing. I'll explain more in a few weeks once we've actually sent them out.

Wedding Ring for Mr. K
I wrote about this here and here, but the short story is that he doesn't love rings and has bony knuckles so we bought him a watch instead.


Source

Garter Toss
No one is going under my dress in public. I would die of awkwardness, especially since my Ukrainian grandfather would probably make all kinds of really embarrasing comments. Once when I yawned in front of him he told me I was probably tired from being "busy" the night before, except he didn't use the word busy.

Tuxes
I got a bit bullied at a wedding show when I said that I didn't think our groom and groomsmen would be wearing tuxes that co-ordinated with our fathers. Mr. Knitting likes his suit so they're going to wear suits. Easy. I'm not sure how the suit company thought they'd get a sale out of me by bullying me.

Matching Bridesmaids Dresses
This would have also been difficult for me to coordinate because of a variety of body types and budgets. I also just prefer a not so matchy look, so that works out well.

Flower Girls
I wrote about this here, but basically my FGs are old (in a cute and adorable way!).



There's probably lots more, but again, I don't care. Our plan with the wedding is that everything is there because we want it to be and because we think it adds something to the wedding. My family is really not "traditional" and have no preconceived notions of what our wedding should be like, aside from the necessity of an open bar (That's my mom. Have you seen her wedding cake companion?)!

What are the wedding "essentials" that you aren't interested in? What's the most rude or annoying comment you've gotten about your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment