Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thinking About the Food

I (like many people) love food and have been very excited about choosing the food for our reception.

My love of food in action:



One of the reasons I loved the Faculty Club so much was that they offered such a huge selection of food options, where as a lot of other places I looked at had set menus with very limited options. Interestingly, since I booked with the Faculty Club, they've come out with these set wedding packages and I have to say I don't like them at all. I am very relieved that I am not stuck with one of those. The packages are good in that they're very afforadable, but they're really not what I had in mind.

My main goals with the menu were to make it delicious (obviously), simple, reflect our tastes and the season, and to have really good options for the vegans in my life. I really want our wedding to be one where the vegans can actually enjoy the food they're being served. Here's what we've come up with so far.

Before the Ceremony
Hot Apple Cider

I've unfortunately determined that the hot chocolate bar is simply too expensive for us. I also suspect that more of our friends and family will be interested in apple cider than they will be in a super adorable hot chocolate bar.

Cocktail Hour

Sweet Potato Fries
Vegetarian Samosas
Perogies
Crab and Brie in Phyllo Pastry
Mini Fish and Chips
Asian Spiced Salmon Skewers
Grilled pita (and gluten free chips of some kind) with hummus, babaganoush, olives, and sundried tomatoes

First Course
Borscht with dumplings

Main Course

Roast Turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce
Japanese Eggplant stuffed with Mediterranean vegetables, in a coconut milk
& curry sauce w/ fresh coriander (vegan option)


Source

Sides
Chef’s Choice Veggies
Garlic Whipped potatoes

Dessert
Our lovely dessert table

I waffled for a bit about whether or not to serve the turkey. I really wanted to serve it because it's a Christmas food, but at the same time I was worried that people would be annoyed that we are serving them their Christmas meal a week in advance. In the end, we decided that no one would be too annoyed with us for serving them turkey a week before Christmas and that we're the only ones worrying about a detail like that.

What's your favourite Christmas food?

No comments:

Post a Comment