Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting Fit: Eat Your Greens

Last week I told you all about my plan to get into great shape for the wedding by doing a lot more yoga. This week, it's all about greens.

mmm...kale


Source

While I'm a pretty healthy eater in general, I definitely do not eat an optimal amount of greens (kale, spinach, collard greens...etc). My idea of optimal is probably about 50% of what I consume, and I don't come ANYWHERE near that. In fact, I'm actually one of those people that don't really like vegetables. Since I started eating vegan about 90% of the time I've found it a lot easier to eat lots of veggies because I've come across so many really flavourful recipes, but I still do not eat enough greens.

I'm a big fan of taking baby steps when it comes to improving my health, so in order to improve my intake of greens I've come up with two baby steps.

1) I'm going to buy one green juice a week. I've tried a few in Toronto and so far the one Urban Herbivore makes is my favourite. I'd love to make my own juices, but as I'd don't currently own a juicer that's not an option at the moment.


Source

2) I'm going to make one giant salad every week for a lunch or dinner. Here's where I get a lot of my inspiration for really nourishing meal sized salads.


Source

As you can see these are definitely baby steps and I certainly hope to quickly increase the amount of giant salads I eat. However, I'm pretty happy with these goals because they are both so easy and doable. Healthy body, here I come! (Yes, I realize that was a ridiculous sentence)

What baby steps are you taking to improve your health/fitness before your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment