Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Our (Not So) Big Fat Polish Wedding

Lucky for me, Mr. Knitting moved to Canada from Poland when he was four. While he now identifies more with being Canadian than Polish, it was important to us to include some details of his heritage even if we're not having a full blown big fat Polish wedding (did I mention that I think my Big Fat Greek Wedding is the best wedding movie ever?).

Here's a few of the ways we're doing this:

Music
We're going to have lots of (okay, maybe more like some) Polish polka music. I think my mom and myself are way more excited about this than Mr. K. My mom grew up practicing polka in her backyard for Ukrainian weddings so she's excited to put her skills to use. My mom and I often will bust out some polka at non-eastern European weddings. Here's a picture of us polka-ing at a friend's (not Eastern European) wedding. No, we're not all that shy!



Food

We're sticking with the basics here. We'll be serving perogies as one of our cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres. We both love perogies and I'm actually pretty good at making them (I'm very proud of this fact!). we figure they're also a pretty good crowd pleaser.


Source

We're also planning to serve soup as our first course and we'd like it to be borscht. However, while I'm fine with just serving the soup, Mr. Knitting insists the Polish people (himself included) will be really upset if the soup isn't served with mushroom dumplings.

Looks great to me:


Source

Looks much better to Mr. K:


Source

Sto Lat
Sto Lat is what I like to refer to as the Polish multipurpose celebration song and it translates to 100 years. They sing it at birthday, anniversaries, weddings, baptisms...et,c and we would really like it to be sung at our wedding. Many of the people at our wedding (myself included) don't know the lyrics, but I'm pretty sure the Polish people that will be there will more than make up for it. They're a pretty lively bunch!

Drinks
Something that I REALLY wanted to do was have a vodka toast. I thought that would be so much fun to do and a great nod to Mr. K's heritage. However, I've since realized how much that one moment would cost and I've had to let that idea go. I'm still pretty sad about that one.

Look how much fun they're having:


Source

So that's a few of the ways we'll be incorporating Mr. Knitting's heritage into our wedding. How are you incorporating your or your FI's heritage into your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment