Thursday, November 4, 2010

How I Ended Up With Two Pairs of Wedding Shoes

Remember how I told you that I don't care about shoes? It's true. I still don't. However, my boss does and, as a result, I am now in possession of two pairs of wedding shoes.

Some back story: I'm very close to my boss and she is basically the pushy opinionated mom I never had (in a good way). I have a mom and she's awesome and the best mom ever, she's just not pushy or opinionated (For the most part. She does get really pushy if she wants me or one of my sisters to go to yoga with her and we don't feel like it).

My boss is pretty involved in my wedding and has been extremely generous with me. She's treating me to a facial, manicure, and pedicure before the wedding and is throwing Mr. Knitting and I a pre-wedding cocktail party. She's also the person who helped me get my vintage wedding dress altered.

Anyway, I brought my shoes to a dress fitting and my (very fashionable) boss took one look at them and decided they would not work. In case you need a reminder of the shoes I already bought here they are:



I still like them.

She then insisted on taking me shopping and treating me to a better pair. I initially resisted, since I am perfectly happy with the pair I already chose and would prefer to not have two of everything at my wedding. Eventually I realized this wasn't really about me, but was rather about her wanting to do another nice thing for me and agreed.

Last Friday we went shopping (after she treated me to lunch and my favourite drink, a kir royale), and we found another pair of shoes that met with her approval.

Here they are:



Side View:



While I still can't get all that excited about shoes, I definitely like them and they do actually go slightly better with my dress than the original pair (my boss is usually right about these kinds of things). So, while I'm not a two dress bride, I am now officially a two pairs of shoes bride.

I think I would have found this whole episode upsetting if I did care a lot about shoes, but since I don't it was easy to let her have control of my footwear. It was much more important to her than it was to me so I was happy to let her have her way since she definitely has my best interests at heart. I know this story sounds really odd since most people's bosses do not veto their wedding footwear choices, but again she's almost more like my pushy, opinionated, and extremely generous second mom than a boss. Ultimately, I'm just grateful to have someone in my life that cares so much about me and my wedding and ensuring I have the right footwear.

Out of curiosity which do you prefer? My new shoes or my first pair?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the new shoes. I don't know what the dress looks like but there's something a bit more elegant about the second pair. I wound up being a two-shoe bride. I wanted green shoes but since my dress was short Jon thought it was a bad idea. So I got green kitten heels for dancing and then ivory pumps for pictures/ceremony. Well... I don't wear heels often and about an hour into the pictures (pre-ceremony) my feet were killing me. I didn't think I could stand during the ceremony in them. So I switched to the green shoes and instantly my feet thanked me. Both of your pairs look really comfy but definitely bring the first pair since they look comfier!

    Also... awesome you have a boss like that! My boss was awesome about the wedding (well, his kids were my flower girls!) as was his wife. They threw us an engagement party since we live across the country from our families, and were just an awesome couple for inspiration and support. So grateful since I'm sure some people's bosses are like "ugh wedding - roll eyes".

    ReplyDelete