Friday, April 9, 2010

Dress Inspiration

The idea of spending money on a wedding dress always stressed me out a bit. Obviously, I want to look as good as possible for the wedding, but the thought of spending money on a dress that I was only going to wear once, was not something I was excited about.

My grandmother generously gave me $1000 to find a dress, but I hoped I would be able to find something I loved for $600 (Canadian) max. I realize that spending $600 on a dress is really no small amount, but I was pretty much positive I would never be able to find something I liked for less. I wasn't even sure I would be able to find something I liked for $600.

Anyway, I started looking at dresses on the Internet back in October to see what kinds of things I wanted for my dress. Here's a selection of my favourites:

The Carolina Dress by Lea Ann Belter (a Toronto designer!)
This dress is pretty much the ideal for me. Lace, sweetheart neckline, cap sleeves. Sigh...


I actually think it's possible that the back is even more gorgeous than the front:


A few more Lean Ann Belter lovelies:

Beatrix


Amelia

A few beauties from David's Bridal. As Canada doesn't actually have a David's Bridal and I will definitely not be crossing any borders to find a dress, these weren't even actual options, but I still think they're lovely:



Katya, by Monique Lhuillier


Cap sleeves, lace, AND a bow? Amazing. I love Monique Lhuiller and am quite jealous of brides who get to wear her incredible creations.

A selection of my favourite celebrity wedding dresses:

Jenna Bush


Tricia Nixon


Grace Kelly. I am completely in love with those sleeves, but also curious how she managed not to overheat...



Looking at these pictures it becomes pretty clear that I have a type when it comes to wedding dresses. Here's what I determined my criteria was from looking at these pictures:

1) Lace! I really really love lace a lot.
2) Cap sleeves
3) An interesting back

So now the trick is to find a dress that incorporates all of those details, but is pretty inexpensive. We'll see how I do...

Anyone have any excellent budget dress hunting tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment