Friday, April 23, 2010

Twenties Girl

So using my tried and true method of wandering around and browsing in stores I FOUND A VEIL!!!! Sort of. Okay, it's not actually a veil, but I guess more of a wedding head piece or cap. I found it while wandering through Kensington Market (not actively looking for a veil) in Toronto and saw the most gorgeous and unique head piece on a mannequin in the window of the vintage store Ego.

Here it is (and yes, these are really awkward self portraits!):




What can I say? I'm totally in love. It's from the 1920s and is apparently very rare because head pieces like this are incredibly fragile. I'd never seen anything like it before, which I have to say is definitely part of the appeal. I also just think it's completely beautiful. Since it was from a vintage store it was also very affordable, which certainly appealed to me, having been quoted $85 for essentially a piece of netting at another store.

The only part that wasn't so pleasant was the store owner's attitude. As I mentioned the cap was on a mannequin in the front window and when I asked the owner if I could try it on he said "Not today." I was quite put off and replied, "Oh, okay," in a very confused and annoyed tone and started to walk out the door. He then seemed to change his mind (maybe he decided I was a serious customer???) and let me try it on. I of course loved it and snatched it up, but it would have been a much more pleasant experience if he'd be a bit nicer.

Currently I'm planning to wear the cap the way it's positioned in the above pictures, but it's entirely possible I'll change my mind about that between now and the wedding. I also have the option of attaching a piece of netting to the cap so that I can still have my bird cage veil.

What do you think? I need some advice. Netting or no netting?

No comments:

Post a Comment