Monday, April 26, 2010

Second Guessing My Dress

I have a very definite type when it comes to wedding dresses. I like delicate lacey dresses, with cap sleeves and interesting backs. For some good examples see this post.

That being said, since buying my incredible and lovely wedding dress I've come across two different dresses that aren't my style at all, but for some reason I'm completely drawn to them.

The first is a dress by Shank, a Toronto store that specializes in these gorgeous and very theatrical one of a kind pieces. Their stuff is very wild, and while I can appreciate the craftmanship, is generally not my style at all. However, when I saw this dress at a wedding show I was completely fascinated by it:


Source

This dress is definitely not my style, but I love it. It looks even better in person because it has this fantastic flowing quality. I think my favourite part is the colour. I love how it looks as though the bride stepped in ink or something and the colour began to slowly seep upwards.

The second dress was designed by Joy from Joy's Theatricals. Joy is a former costume designer who now rents and sells her beautiful designs out of her tiny store on Davenport in Toronto. I stopped in one day as I was passing by and I fell in love with this beauty (the pinkish one in the middle):


Source

I'm sorry I don't have a better image of it, as it is a really lovely dress. Again the thing that attracted me was the colour. The dress is this gorgeous pale pinky-mauve. I'd never really thought about that colour before, but as soon as I saw the dress I fell completely in love.

I never really thought about wearing a different shade than white, but perhaps I should have.

Ultimately, I'm still happy with my dress and would definitely choose the same dress over again. I do think it's really interesting though how I was drawn to these two dresses, since they really are so far from my usual style.

Have you ever been drawn to an unexpected dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment